LESSONS REOPENING SOON!
So what do we do? We teach all aspects of throwing sharp objects safely!
We teach full rotation knife throwing, Half spin knife throwing and no spin knife and shuriken (spike) throwing. We also teach axe and tomahawk throwing, Archery and much more.
This is done safely under the supervision of fully qualified, DBS checked and insured martial arts instructors and rangemasters. A 1 hour 30 minute lesson is suitable for groups of between 2 and 24 people aged 14 years old and over.
The price for Shinobi Shurikenjutsu lessons is just £29.99 a month! Lessons are held on Thursday evenings 17:00 - 18:30 at Warwickshire College, Rugby.
Knife, Axe and Shuriken throwing involves learning to throw into wooden target rounds. These ancient skills were practiced by the Ninja, Samurai, Vikings, Knights during the middle ages and the native American Indians who perfected the throwing arts.
The lesson will start with an introduction into the basic safety guidelines and techniques required to get the Knife, Axe or Shuriken to hit and stick into the target round at a fairly close range. Training knives are used to ensure everyone understands the basic techniques.
Different types of throwing knives, axes and Shuriken will then be introduced so that everyone gets the opportunity to try throwing a wide variety of throwing equipment.
Our background is in traditional Japanese Togakure Ryu Shurikenjutsu so our original technique differs slightly to western knife throwing, It’s based on the concept of Ken Tai Ichi Jo (Using the body and weapon as one) so we often move whilst throwing rather than staying statically planted in one position.
How Private Hire Works
Private hire is available all year around and is especially well suited for birthday parties, corporate events and family groups.
Please contact us to arrange your booking!
Private lessons run for one hour unless stipulated otherwise, lessons are available at:
- 09:30 - 10:30
- 11:00 - 12:00
- 12:30 - 13:30
- 14:00 - 15:00
Evenings are also available during the summer.
It is possible to book the ranges for more than one hour, for example for an event. Please contact us for further information.
A typical lesson will have the following format:
- 10:50 - Students arrive at Shinobi Shurikenjutsu wearing suitable outdoor clothing.
- 11:00 - The instructor will welcome students and explain the lesson structure, basic safety guidelines and the range layout.
- 11:05 - Initial instruction will be given on how to throw. We usually start students on angel axes as they are light weight and have several edges to increase the chances of the axe sticking into the target.
- 11:10 - Practice begins! All students will throw a set of 3 knives, axes or bo shuriken at the wooden target rounds from a 3 metre distance. Hints and tips will be given throughout to improve the students technique.
- 11:30 - Competition time! Three knives, axes or bo shuriken per person to see who can gain the highest score.
- 11:40 - On to the Hawks! Full sized tomahawks with a single cutting edge. These are more challenging to throw than the angel axes but deliver a very satisfying "Thunk" when they stick in the target.
- 11:50 - Hawk competition! 2 hawks per person to see who can gain the highest score.
- 12:00 - Lesson ends and students depart.
The cost is based on the number of participants.
2 People - £60 (£30.00 each)
3 to 8 People - £27 per person
9 to 16 People - £25 per person
17 - 24 People - £22 per person
- All the required equipment.
- Full tuition by a qualified, insured and DBS checked instructor.
- Venue Hire
Your group will have an instructor who looks after you throughout the duration of your private booking.
Once you have booked in we require payment in full at least ten days in advance of the booking date. You can pay online, by card, via BACS transfer or in cash.
Age Limits & Physical Demands
All participants must be at least 13 years old and at least 147cm tall (58 inches). If any of the group members are aged 14-16 years old we will need at least two adults to accompany the group.
You will be throwing knives, axes, bo shuriken and tomahawks for most of the lesson. You will also be reaching down to the ground to pick up fallen equipment. The activity is not suitable for anyone with an existing medical condition that could be aggravated by the action of throwing.
Some participants can find the tomahawks too heavy to throw safely. In these circumstances the throwing knives and angel axes will be used throughout the duration of the lesson.
Knife, Axe and Shuriken throwing takes place outside at our venue in Rugby, Warwickshire. You will be outside for the majority of the time, you will need to wear suitable outdoor clothing including:
- Waterproof Jacket
- Outdoor footwear (No open toed shoes)
The throwing ranges are not covered so you will be outside when throwing and recovering equipment. Refreshments and toilets are available in the main building.
How To Book
Book in the date and time that works for you, let us know your anticipated group size and we will send an email confirming the booking with an invoice.
Ten days before the booking date you need to pay in full. At this stage the group sized is fixed and cannot be decreased. If someone drops out or doesn't show up on the day we won't be able to offer a refund, so always make sure you get the money off of each person.
If you would like to learn more about Shurikenjutsu our book is available via Amazon.
Click to view.
© Copyright Seal Martial Arts 2020